First appeared on:
Trojan-Downloader.WMA.GetCodec compromises system by connecting to the internet to download fake video codecs via Windows Media Player and entince user to install them on the system.
- Unusual running processes/files in the task manager
- Slow internet connection speed, declined bandwidth
- Missing and phony system tray icons and shortcuts
- Trojan-Downloader.WMA.GetCodec.d reinstalls after removal, difficult to remove
- Uknown applications cause general windows instability
- Can alter desktop background wallpaper
- Creates pop-ups even with pop up blocker, can overflow computer with porn pop-ups
- WMA.GetCodec.d can modify browser setting to www.flashcodec.com
- Missing registry keys dlls and system files resulting in "Blue Screen"
Trojan-Downloader.WMA.GetCodec.d is a dangerous media codec downloader trojan that infects mp3 and wma files via security loopholes. The infected files will show following notification "Windows Media Player - The file you are attempting to play has an extension that dous not match the file format. Playing the file may result in unexpected behavior.".
Trojan-Downloader.WMA.GetCodec.d is generally installed on the system by clicking on fake mediaplayer codec update popups or by downloading infected windows_meda_player_flash_codec_plugin.exe file from www.flashcodec.com hijacker website.